Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Joey 3 months part 2

So we arrived in Michigan on Friday, Sept 18th.  The first place we stopped was at Bruce's mom and dad's house so Joey could meet her Grandpa for the first time.  I think it was more emotional for me than for anyone else.  Bruce's dad was so sweet, he did want to ask to hold Joey.  Phyllis (Bruce's mom) was sitting in the rocking chair just loving away on her and Joey was sleeping so peacefully in her arms.  Fred (Bruce's dad) was sitting on the couch staring longingly at the the two of them, I could tell he wanted to hold Joey so bad, but he didn't want to wake her up.  After much prompting I was able to get him to admit that he wanted to hold her and rock with her in the rocking chair, so Phyllis and him switched places.  He looked like he was in heaven holding is newest grand-baby, it was so beautiful.  And of course since I didn't have a camera, I didn't get any pictures..  I have since rectified that and bought a camera on Friday evening. After leaving their house we went to my Mom's (they actually live less than a mile away from each other) to unload the car and get settled in (we are staying with her while we are here).  My mom was pretty excited to see Joey again and Joey got to meet her other Grandpa (my Mom's boyfriend) for the first time as well.  Friday was the day for Grandpa introductions!!


Joey's Party was on Saturday, Sept 19th.  It turned out better than I could have hoped.  Quite a few people were sick & thankfully they were respectful enough to call and let us know they weren't going to be able to make it.  There were also quite a few that couldn't get out of work, but we are working on arrangements for a visit with them.  The disappointment was the people that didn't show up and didn't have the courtesy to at least call (I thought of these people as family, but this has made me think otherwise).  The bright side is that many people came to Joey's party and even though we asked them not to many o them brought lovely gifts for Joey..  My God-Parents made a trip and drove quite a ways to be there (probably a good 2 hour drive for them).  I hadn't seen them in many years (probably 15 years or maybe more), so it was wonderful that they came to be a part of Joey's celebration.  Most of Bruce's family (he has a big family) came as well.  Of course the important people from my Michigan family were there (my mom, my niece, and my best friend, her husband and her kids).  There were also many friends of ours and our families that came as well, so all in all it was a pretty good turn out and I think everyone got a chance to meet Joey and hold her at least once.  I hope everyone was able to enjoy themselves.  Joey was very cooperative and didn't fuss at all (I think she slept most of the time). I think I saw her for maybe 5 minutes from the time we arrived until the party ended. 


Sunday went by pretty quickly, we went to church on Sunday with my best friend Jennie and her husband Matt. Their pastor has been praying for Joey since we first got her diagnosis, so it was nice to be able to introduce ourselves and Joey and put faces to his prayers.  We were glad to be able to tell him in person how grateful we are for all of the prayers made for us and Joey.  He was so nice, he put his hand on her head and said another prayer for Joey, it was very moving.  After church we went back to Jennie's to spend the afternoon with her and Matt and Joey had her 1st real smile!!  I was talking to her and she looked right at me and gave this really sweet, toothless, kind of lopsided grin.. It was so beautiful I actually cried.  I didn't think I was ever going to see her smile and it was so overwhelming to be given such a precious gift.  Most parents of a newborn can think ahead to their baby's first smile, laugh, steps, & words, but as a parent of a Trisomy 18 baby I am always praying for just 1 more minute, hour, day, & week. To get a smile was more than I had prayed for, God continues to amaze me with the blessings we are continuously receiving through Joey.


Monday was another day for introductions, we visited 2 of my previous employers (Dr. Neshewat and Jay the photographer).  We managed to surprise Dr. Neshewat by having his staff tell him there was a different patient in the room we were in.  Bruce thought Dr. Neshewat's sixth sense would tell him I was there and that we wouldn't have him fooled for a second, but we managed to surprise him even though Joey was being pretty vocal while we were waiting.  Jay wasn't at the studio, so we went to his house to see him.  He wasn't at the house either, but his wife Donna was home with their 3 kids, so we went in and visited with them for a few while Jay was on his way home. Bruce's brother Mike came to my Mom's later that evening to spend some time with us, he looks so awkward holding Joey, it was so cute.


That's pretty much everything up to this point, there will be another post as our visit continues.  


Until the next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment